Thursday, April 30, 2009

Back in Town

This picture is of me and my beautiful roommates in Cebu.
From Left to Right: BJ, Rhonda, myself and Jona.


Well friends, I'm back! Back in cold Canada! I have now officially completed my onSite experience in Cebu. Though my time there may be over, the things I learned and the growing I am doing is not close to over.

April was an incredibly difficult month as I wrapped up Stepping Stones ministry, had some final speaking engagements and did my best to say goodbye to as many people as I could from around the city and the country!

During Holy Week I was able to spend the week with my Cebuano language teacher, Ate Anita and her family at the house where she grew up in Bantayan island. Bantayan is a tiny island located just off the north west of Cebu island. To get there, we took a four hour bus ride first to the very north, than about an hour boat ride straight to Santa Fe. It's absolutely beautiful on that island! The week was designed for a few different purposes. Firstly, one of the assignments for onSite is to write a life story on a local of our host culture. I chose to study the life of my teacher Anita. So being able to spend a week with her was a great way for me to practically shadow her and observe her as she interacted with her family. I feel I got to know her in a really deep and meaningful way. Second, it was a test of sorts for me to see how I would do with the Cebuano I learned over the course of my nine months. It was a way for me to put what I learned to real good practice especially with my teacher watching! And I passed my test!
And thirdly, I was in Bantayan for one of the most famous Holy Week celebrations in all of the Philippines. In the days before, of and after Easter, there are numerous religious processions that Filipino's from far and wide come to join in. There are huge floats decorated with flowers and images depicting the events leading up to the death of Jesus on the cross. Then on Sunday morning for Easter, they celebrate His resurrection by having a final procession ending with children dressed up as angels throwing flower pedals and singing Hallelujah. It was a really neat and certainly unique Easter experience for me. It was amazing to see the dedication and faith of the thousands of believers come to that tiny little island, and celebrate the most important time of the year for a Christian person.

After I made my way back to Cebu (after a 10 hour wait for a boat ride!), it was just straight busyness again until my last day. Rhonda threw me what is called a "Despedida" which is a going away party at her new office. Many friends came for the party and said their goodbyes. It was an emotional time but a blessed one!
I then had to begin packing up my things and prepare myself to leave Cebu. Rhonda and I decided to take the 24 hour boat ride up to Manila because that was the way I first came to Cebu all those many months ago: on the SuperFerry boat ride! I think it was the best decision we could have made. It was 24 uninterrupted hours of debriefing my internship, praying, laughing, crying and resting. After that trip I felt closure. I felt like I had finished well and for the first time I was ready to come home.

Now that I am home, I will battle reverse culture shock in its different forms. I will find a job somewhere in Okotoks where I'm staying with my family and slowly adjust back into Canadian life. The other day when I was feeling overwhelmed and missing Cebu a lot, I happened to be in Wal-Mart and hear two Filipina's speaking Cebuano standing right beside me. I could have cried,.it was like a small gift from God reminding me I'm not alone and I'm going to get through it. This summer I'm looking into finding a job that can connect me to immigrants and work with those not native to this country. I'm hoping that there is a job available where I can use my experience and show love to those who may feel they have no place to call home.


I suppose I will keep this blog for now on even though my onSite is done. Thank you all for reading these updates throughout my time. Thank your for your prayers, support and encouragement. I hope you will continue to keep in touch! Thank you for journeying with me and being part of the greatest experience of my life. God is good!
Salamat kaayo sa tanan!

Love,
Amanda Joy Kneeshaw

No comments: