Saturday, January 31, 2009

A big and happy hello all the way from Cebu to all those keeping up with my blogs!! I trust everyone is doing well, whether in Canada or somewhere else in the world.

This New Year has continued to prove God’s goodness and purpose in my life. This month of January has been one of the best months so far here on my internship journey that started way back in July. I feel like so much so happened in my being here (and it has) and has gone by very quickly.

One of my major focuses this last month has been with the ministry of the Dolous. I find this so interesting because I had never heard of the Dolous until I came here and felt so out of the loop because everyone knows of the Dolous well here. This ship, which is the oldest and largest floating bookshop in the world, sails the seas and ports in dozens of different countries every year bringing help, hope and knowledge to all those willing to receive it. At any one time there are about 350 crew members all working for the Lord on the ship as volunteers as part of a 2 year commitment. Rhonda and Padala ministries were given the opportunity by the leadership of the ship to be able to sell the many livelihood projects she supports here in Cebu. We’re doing this in order that the local artists and workers are able to make some income for their hard work. So every day this last month, the Padala staff and volunteers have taken shifts selling these items on board. The ship is due to leave Cebu by February 10th, so until then we have many more hot and long days ahead. It hasn’t always been an easy time on the Dolous, since most of us are not gifted salespeople and are working out the kinks of how to work in an international team of people with very different ways of thinking. But I didn’t come here expecting or even wanting an easy time! I’m here to do exactly this, learn how to work in intercultural ministry! God is no doubt blessing Padala and our team through this experience, so we are grateful for the opportunity. I have met Christian brothers and sisters from over 50 different nations around the world and got to hear their stories. My favourite part has been being able to led some teams out into the city and show them what I do in my internship here!

One of the Dolous teams I was able to lead, was a group of 6. We had one from Mongolia, one from America, one from the Netherlands, one from Japan and one from the Philippines! They did a presentation at Lawaan Elementary School that the children from Didos attend. We thought we were only visiting three classrooms, but instead were able to do an assembly for the entire school on the stage! Who knew!! They did a great job.

Other than the Dolous, I have also been preparing for my ELE trip to Phuket, Thailand! I just arrived here yesterday and now the whole team are here in Phuket together. Duc and Hung just arrived from Cambodia and Natasha from China, Lindsey from Indonesia and Sammy from here in Thailand! We will be staying here for one week at a guest house in the downtown of Phuket. We're planning for some fun events,; beach days, market shopping and sight seeing in the next few days. We can't wait!

Praise God we all arrived here safely with no problems at all and please continue to pray for safety and protection in our travel around Phuket and head back to our homes next week.

Please pray that as we finish our time up on the Dolous, we will be able to continue to work well as a team and be able to network with more crew members on the ship.

Also, for the Dolous itself, it is such a great ministry and outreach. Keep your ears open, it may be coming to a country near you!

Thank you for reading. God Bless you always!

Until next time..

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey you...great to hear that you got there to Puket save and sound... it does my heart good!!
Love you.
miss you
c u soon.
Mama bear